In 1779, General Sullivan’s campaign reached Livingston County, where the army met the only organized resistance of the campaign.
>> www.sullivancampaignlivingstoncounty.com <<
TOTAL TIME TO DO THE TRAIL: 1-3 hours.
Hemlock Lake Park
Sullivan’s army passed through this area en route to Conesus. A monument constructed of old gristmill stone and contains Indian relics marks the spot.
Sullivan’s army camped here on September 12, 1779. The monument sits on a small boulevard at the intersection of Rt. 15 and Foote’s Corners Road.
Conesus Lake Inlet
Sullivan’s army built a bridge to cross here.
Lt. Boyd and Michael Parker were captured and taken to Little Beard’s Town in Cuylerville after an ambush here. A monument was erected to honor fallen soldiers.
Boyd and Parker Park
The tortured and mutilated bodies of Lt. Boyd and Michael Parker were discovered here when Sullivan’s army arrived to burn the village and fields of crops. There are two monuments at this site to honor them.
The Torture Tree
This ancient tree acquired its nickname early in the 19th century as the tree that Boyd and Parker were killed at. But in 1779 the tree would have been a mere sapling.
For More Information Contact: Livingston County Chamber of Commerce at 585-243-2222.