TOTAL TIME TO DO THE TRAIL: One to two days
HONORARY INTERNATIONAL PEACE GARDEN AT BATAVIA
A sea of international flags will greet you, signifying the 200 years of peace between Canada and the United States. This garden is a tribute to the final rallying position of the War of 1812. Educational interpretive panels will walk you through the history of this conflict.
HONORARY INTERNATIONAL PEACE GARDEN AT THE CHARLOTTE GENESEE LIGHTHOUSE
British naval forces prowled the waters of Lake Ontario attacking weak ports and demanding supplies. The Port of Rochester was an easy target for raids. Local citizens who could bear arms were often recruited by American forces to help protect these shores.
HONORARY INTERNATIONAL PEACE GARDEN AT LAKE ONTARIO WINERY & VINEYARDS
Much of the armed conflict during the War of 1812 took place off the shores of Lake Ontario. Three miles north of this site, the first U.S. Fleet appeared to the Royal Navy as they approached Braddock Point. The British then retreated and abandoned attempts to land troops at Rochester. A fierce gun battle commenced en route back to Canada.
HONORARY INTERNATIONAL PEACE GARDEN AT GRANGER HOMESTEAD & CARRIAGE MUSEUM
During the War, Canandaigua became a military station where barracks were built, troops were quartered, and supplies stored, bought, and sold. The Granger Homestead was built just after the War ended in 1814, but the grounds were used by military troops for drills and battle preparation.
Bicentennial Peace Garden at the Williamson-Pultneyville Historical Society
Pultneyville has a beautiful, natural harbor on Lake Ontario. On May 15, 1814, a scrimmage occurred between the citizens of Pultneyville and the British, with subsequent cannonading of the hamlet upon return to their ship. No fatalities occurred, but a cannon ball still remains in one of its oldest houses.
Bicentennial Peace Garden at Sodus Point
On June 19th, 1813, the Battle of Troupesville (Sodus Point) took place on the hail adjacent to the Peace Garden. During the surge, lives were lost and much of the town was burned to the ground. Today, a monument sits in the Peace Garden in memory of this historic battle and the loss suffered by the community.